Monday, August 08, 2005

Peter Jennings Dies

Former "ABC Nightly News" anchor and highly revered journalist, Peter Jennings, passed away on Sunday at his home in New York City after a battle with lung cancer.

I was deeply saddened to hear of Jennings' death. My father passed away in June from the same type of cancer. I know that he empathized deeply for Mr. Jennings when he heard that he was ill, even writing to him to let him know that he would keep him in his prayers.

When I heard last night that Peter Jennings had passed away, memories of my dad's own illness and death came rushing back. Cancer is such an awful, dehumanizing disease. Watching someone suffer when there is nothing you can really do to help them is the hardest thing I have ever had to do.

If there is one positive thing that came from my own father's illness it is the realization that our bodies are truly temples of the holy spirit and we should make every effort to take care of them. My dad did not not do that. He drank excessively and smoked since he was a teenager. His struggle with alcoholism would last his entire life. When my dad accepted Jesus he quit drinking. This lasted for about 10 years, I think. Then, one night at dinner, he gave in to the lie. He thought he could master what had mastered him. "Just one drink," he said. That one drink led to another drink and only stopped when he saw his own mortality face to face. Its amazing how finding out that you are dying can really put things into perspective.

We all have our own crosses to bear. I personally do not struggle with alcoholism or smoking. But, I have my own issues. With the grace of God, I pray that I can overcome them.

My thoughts and prayers are with the Jennings family tonight. May God's grace and peace be with them.

No comments: