Monday, August 22, 2005

Believing God?

We heard a rumor today at work that they might be closing our office. Of course, this has everyone in a panic. However, I don't think that God wants his children to live in fear. Many times in the last year I have been forced to acknowledge that God is my source, not man. People can let you down, circumstances can change, but God alone remains faithful. For this reason, we should have peace.

In one of her books, Beth Moore asks, "Do we merely believe in God, or do we believe God?" At first this seems like a simple question. But, is it really? How often do we worry and fret over things that happen to us and fail to recognize that God has promised never to leave us or forsake us. In fact, he cares for us so much that the bible says that even the hairs on our heads are numbered. Yet, our faith in his ability and willingness to take care of us, always seems to be lacking.

Of the many promises God gives believers in the bible, one of the most significant ones is peace. The bible has a lot to say about peace. A few good verses of scripture that come to mind are:

"You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you." (Isaiah 26:3)


"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." (Isaiah 41:10)


"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." (John 14:27)


"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." (John 16:33)



As believers, we have assurance that:

A. God is in control. The bible says that "The Lord has established his throne in the heavens and his sovereignty rules over all." (Psalms 103:19)

AND...

B. God is continually involved in our lives every single day. In fact, Romans 8:28 says: "And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose."


SO...

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Phillipians 4:6-7)


The bottom line is this: If my office closes tomorrow, I know that God will make a way for me. He will open another window of opportunity. How do I know this? I know it because I've seen it happen. I believe with all my heart that "in ALL things" God truly does have a plan. And he is willing and able to bring something positive out of even the worst situations.

3 comments:

P. Allan Frederick said...

You are inspiring!

Anonymous said...

Hello Gina,
I have really enjoyed reading your blog. I caught wind of it at JohnE's site. I've linked to you as well. Keep up the great writing.

Frank

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.