Friday, August 19, 2005

Breaking Free

Our church is beginning an 11 week Beth Moore women's bible study in September, called Living Beyond Yourself: Exploring the Fruits of the Spirit. Since I was not familiar with Moore's writing, I decided to check her out at Borders. I skimmed a few of her selections and decided to purchase a book called Breaking Free: Making Liberty in Christ a Reality in Life. I have only read a few chapters, but so far I like what I have read. I think this is a great book for anyone who wants to know God better and have a stronger relationship with him. In the book, Moore discusses five hinderances that can impede our Christian walk and keep us from experiencing all that God intends for his children. According to Moore, these hinderances include:

1. Unbelief - She makes an excellent point when she questions, Do we merely believe in God? (For our salvation) Or, do we really believe God, including all the promises in His word?

2. Idolotry - I think this is a huge issue. What things in our lives have we, either intentionally, or unintentionally, given a higher priority than serving God? Our kids? Our jobs? Our mates? Our friends? A bad habit? This is a very worthwhile question to ask ourselves. I think the truth might surprise us if we get real with ourselves.

3. Prayerlessness

4. Legalism

5. Pride

No comments: