Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Phone Duty



I called the Social Security office yesterday regarding a matter I have been trying to get taken care of since my dad passed away in June of last year. After getting the run around for the last few weeks, I was finally able to talk to someone in the local office where I had originally filled out a form that has since vanished from the face of the earth. I was told that without this form (that I filled out almost a year ago) that I would have to start the process to get this matter taken care of from scratch, which means it would take at least another two months. However, I was told that if I contacted the local office they should have my form on file and could fax the form to the appropriate person to expedite this matter. Great, I think. Maybe I will get this taken care of before I die!

Unfortunately, I forgot that I was dealing with the a governmental organization. Here is what happened:

Me: Hi. I am calling regarding.....

SSA rep: Oh. Well...um yeah, it says they don't have the form and there is nothing I can do about that.

Me: Yes, I know. But, I was told that your office should have it on file.

SSA rep: Yes. We might have it on file, that's true. I would love to help you, but I am afraid I can't get up from my desk to check the filing cabinet because I am on phone duty and there are other callers waiting in the queue.

Me: I've been waiting for 9 months!

SSA rep: Yes, ma'am. I apologize. But, I am afraid I can't get out of my chair right now. As I said, I am on phone duty... We have other callers waiting...I am really sorry...I could call you back in a few hours perhaps...It's just that I am on phone duty and I have other callers in the queue...

Me: (Interrupting) Yes, I understand. (Sigh!) Ok, please return my call as soon as possible at _____________. Thank you!

SIGH!

No comments: