Sunday, September 18, 2005

Faith

I am really enjoying the bible study I am going to on Thursday nights. On the first night we learned a 5 statement pledge that will govern our study. It is:

1. God is who He says He is.

2. God can do what He says He can do.

3. I am who God says I am.

4. I can do all things through Christ.

5. God's word is alive and active in me.

I know this is going to be a powerful journey. I know it because from the moment I committed to doing this bible study I have had nothing but trouble. I have wanted to give up and say, "I quit" several times in the last two weeks. I believe that the enemy hates it when Christians get serious about their faith. He doesn't want anyone to be successful in Christ. He doesn't want us to advance the kingdom of God. He doesn't want us to reach out to the unchurched. He knows that he can't steal our salvation, but he would love to destroy our witness, our joy and our hope.

The truth is I just really want to reach the next level in my Christian life. I want to grow in my faith to the point that I completely trust God in all things. I really do thirst for him. I want to know him intimately. When I think about giving up, God is quick to remind me of the kind of life he brought me from. The fact is, no matter what kind of trials I face as a Christian, I know what a life without God is all about. As they say, "I've been there, done that, and I've got the t-shirt." The enemy is a liar and nothing he has to offer is worth the price you have to pay. I thank God that he reminds me of that every day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gina said...

Advertising!!!!!!!!!!

Nathan White said...

Yes, I had to deal with the same thing. You can get rid of that junk by enabling 'word verification' under the options - comments page.

SDG

Gina said...

Thanks for the tip.

By the way, what does SDG stand for?

Nathan White said...

SDG stands for Soli Deo Gloria, which is the last of the 5 'solas' of the Reformation.

SDG means 'Glory to God alone'.

The other 4 are:
Sola Scriptura - Scripture alone
Sola Gratia - Grace alone
Solo Christo - Christ alone
Sola Fide - Faith alone

When Martin Luther and the Reformers 'rebelled' against the Roman Catholic system, they instilled these 5points as kind of a foundation of what they held to as opposed to the Catholics.

Catholics do not hold to the Bible alone, they do not hold that salvation is by grace alone, they do not hold that it is through Christ alone, and they do not hold that it is through faith alone. The last one kind of sums up the thinking, SDG - everything is for God's glory alone. You see, in the Roman system, man gets a good portion of the glory for his salvation. And of course, I would argue the same point to those who believe in free will. For when you make the right call, who can be credited for that all important decision? Another thing that most people dont realize is that anybody, absolutely anybody who was not a 'Calvinist' during that period would've been an enemy of the Reformers. Anyone holding to free will was seen as siding with the Catholics.- and they did side with the Catholics.

Anyway...sorry for the rabbit trail there. I guess I kind of showed my colors. I was just trying to point out why many do not hold the the '5 solas' today, its because in recent history, most people have turned to the belief in free will.

The bible plus nothing...equals truth.
Grace alone, through Christ alone, through faith alone, plus absolutely nothing else...equals salvation.
All to God's glory, and nobody else.

SDG