Tuesday, May 31, 2005

TULIP- Does God Love Everyone?

TULIP is the 5 letter acronym that Reformed theologians use to explain the doctrine of Predestination. For those who aren't familiar with TULIP, I will give you a quick overview:

T-Total Depravity. Through Adam, we are all born with a sin nature. We are not as sinful as we possibly can be, but every part of our being is tainted by sin. Because of this, we don't seek God unless he first works to regenerate our hearts. Without God's intervention we would never seek him.

U- Unconditional Election. God chose certain people before the foundation of the world to be saved based upon nothing that they have done or ever will do to deserve his mercy. It was exclusively based on the sovereign will of God.

L- Limited Atonement. Christ died only for the elect. Thus, his atonement was actual and not merely potential.

I- irresistible Grace. The elect can't resist the redemptive, regenerative grace poured out upon them by God.

P- Perseverance of the Saints. Those that God elected unto salvation will persevere in the faith. They can not lose their salvation.

I recently commented on a post at a blog called He lives about the fruitfulness of vocally proclaiming a doctrine such as this that emphasizes that God does not love everyone. In what way does this doctrine further the cause of Christ? How do you effectively preach the gospel of Jesus Christ if you truly believe that God created some people that he would never enable to believe in him for salvation? Is this the kind of God that the bible portrays? I am open to points of view on both sides of the issue. Just keep it civil, please! : )

5 comments:

kc bob said...

I was so sorry to hear of your father's passing ... I pray that you and your family will find strength and comfort during this time.

Regarding TULIP, I think you and I are of the same mind with reagrd to God's love. The following commandment falls short in a TULIP theological perspective:

"You have heard that it was said, `Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.” Mt 5:43-48

In light of this we really have to ask the TULIPites "Why would God command us to do what He is unwilling to do?"

Gina said...

Thank you for offering your condolences and prayers. It has definitely been a very rough month. My faith has been put to the test on more than a few occassions. Fortunately, God is faithful. Just when we think we can't handle anything else, he gives us strength.

I think your observations here are excellent. We were actually just having a discussion over at The Thinklings blog today about whether God loves everyone. I hope you don't mind if I share your thoughts.

You should check out the post if you are interested. It is called "Your Weekly Dose of Calvinism."

kc bob said...

How is your mom doing? I hope she is doing well and processing through the grief of your dad's passing. A few thoughts that you might want to share with her from my online booklet on pain:

http://home.kc.rr.com/eye4redemption/#ch4

This is my account of how I survived my wife's passing and began to release my pain. Feel free to share or not.

Blessings, Bob

Gina said...

Well, even though my parents were divorced, they were good friends. My mom has been through a lot in the last year with her boyfriend dying last July and my dad dying in June. She has a lot of anger. She really needs prayer. I am concerned about her.

By the way, the "Weekly Dose of Calvinism" threads are a little confusing. There is a different one every week. The most popular post list is misleading. That is the combined total of comments over all the weeks. The link only takes you to a post that has a few comments. The one that I suggested you take a look at has almost 150 comments, but you will have to search it out. I think they are trying to fix the confusion of so many posts having the same name. I guess they didn't realize how popular the topic would be. :)

Gina said...

By the way, thanks for the link.

I changed the name I post under to my first name in case you are confused. Michele is my middle name. I post under Gina usually, so I thought it would be easier to use that here too. Sorry if I confused you.